November 23, 2023
Program Officer (Full-Time)
The Damascus Road Foundation
The Damascus Road Foundation is a registered Canadian charity and private foundation (registration number 706656329RR0001). Established in 2017, having current assets of almost $200 million, and over $25 million in grant commitments made to date, the Foundation is focused on supporting Christian evangelistic efforts, particularly among those who have never had an opportunity to hear the good news of Jesus Christ.
To accelerate the proclamation of the gospel of Jesus Christ to the least reached people groups of the world.
In every people group in the world, there would exist:
- the Bible in their heart language,
- a clear, indigenous strategy for proclaiming the life changing message of Jesus; and
- a vibrant, thriving, and multiplying church (the body of Christ).
With God’s help and guidance, The Damascus Road Foundation supports efforts to evangelize unreached people groups.
- Being Spirit-led
- Being wise risk-takers
- Pursuing continuous improvement
- Being a catalyst for the Great Commission.
The Foundation is located in southwestern Ontario and, ideally, would see the Program Officer working within the Foundation’s office the majority of days during the work week.
Reporting to the Foundation’s Executive Director, the Program Officer will work with the Executive Director and Program Associate to achieve the grantmaking goals as set by the Foundation’s Board of Directors. The Program Officer’s responsibilities will include:
Grant Acquisition, Review, and Management
- Working with the Executive Director to develop and execute granting strategies that further the Foundation’s mission
- Developing relationships with current and prospective grantee partners
- Identifying strategic grant opportunities and supporting applicants through the application process
- Conducting due diligence on grant applications, including reviews of applicants’ organizational leadership, finances, operations, and project plans
- Summarizing grant applications and making recommendations for the Board of Directors
- Monitoring and assessing the implementation of funded projects
- Reviewing literature and meeting with representatives of peer foundations and sector leaders to stay abreast of developments in relevant fields of work and geographic regions
Board Meetings and Presentations
- Presenting grant applications and recommendations to the Foundation’s Board of Directors
- Preparing and delivering other Board reports and projects as required
- Maintaining comprehensive and up-to-date data on applications, grants, reports, and grantee partners
- Communicating the Foundation’s granting decisions to applicants
- Developing and tracking the execution of grant MOUs
- Sending grants and supporting documents to grantee partners
- Representing the Foundation at philanthropic and sector-specific conferences
- Travelling, sometimes internationally to remote regions of the world, to visit with existing and prospective implementing partners
- Being the resident expert on matters related to missions among unreached and frontier people groups
Qualifications and Experience
A successful candidate will bring the following:
- Strong familiarity with the Canadian charitable sector and, specifically, those organizations working in areas of the Foundation’s granting interest
- A deep understanding of various mission strategies employed among the least-reached
- A proven ability to work with and support collaboration among diverse stakeholders
- Familiarity with reading budgets and assessing organizational financial statements
- More than 5 years’ experience holding a senior position in a work environment relevant to the mission of the Foundation
- A graduate degree in a relevant field (preferred)
- Fluency in a second language spoken in the majority world (preferred)
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Familiarity with Grant Management or CRM Systems (preferred)
- A vibrant, prayerful, and growing personal relationship with Jesus Christ
- Demonstrated commitment to the Foundation’s purpose, mission, and values
- Ability to annually affirm the Damascus Road Foundation Statement of Faith
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, listening, and written communications skills
- A curious and inquiring disposition balanced with a commitment to empowering the Foundation’s partners
- Humble, servant leader
- Passion for learning about a breadth of topics, geographies, and cultures
- Respectful in building cross-cultural relationships
- Disciplined and self-motivated
- Ability to work independently and in a team
Compensation and benefits will be competitive and commensurate with previous experience.
Qualified candidates are invited to send a cover letter, stating salary expectations, and their resume to Leanne Ferris, Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Our first review of applicants will take place on January 2, 2024. The search will remain open until a suitable candidate is appointed.